While any city in Morocco is sure to excite, Marrakech goes above and beyond to capture your attention, offering a one of a kind nightlife that will bedazzle and astound your morocco travel experience. Marrakech, the Paris of Morocco, is a sleepless city with endless paths leading some of the best entertainment a city could offer.
After a day of exploring sights in bustling Marrakech, you can head to Djemma el Fna Square. This relatively new area of the city was founded by the French in 1912 and is the spirit of Marrakech’s nightlife and cafe culture.
Over the past decade, many international restaurants with live entertainment have also populated Gueliz, the Palmeraie, and the Hivernage Garden district of Marrakech.
The upscale neighborhood of Hivernage, in particular, is burgeoning with nightlight options and is located in the heart of the Golden Triangle District. It is also home to Marrakech’s several 5-star boutique hotels, a casino, and luxurious nightclubs.
Down the street from Hivernage is Mararkech’s French Town Gueliz, also known for it’s historic Art Deco architecture that was designed during the French protectorate. Gueliz is not far the Koutoubia Mosque and the UNESCO World Heritage Medina.
Marrakech Nightlife venues vary in their offerings and range from classy cocktails, piano bars, and to fine dining experiences. Travelers can start their evening with live Indian, oriental, or contemporary entertainment then head to one of the cities scenic sky bar. For those with extra energy, Hivernage’s nightclubs open at midnight and stay on until the wee hours of the morning.
This is our hand-selected guide of 8 Places to Go for Nightlife in Marrakech.
1. La Mamounia Hotel – Home to the place where Winston Churchill had his own suite and Alfred Hitchcock wrote the “Birds.” For a sophisticated and classy night out in Marrakech, its hard to beat the refined Le Bar Churchill. Part of the five-star La Mamounia Palace Hotel, the bar oozes style and opulence. The ambiance is embellished by the sounds of a mellow jazz ambiance, Art Deco velvet furniture, padded red leather walls, leopard skin, and subdued lighting.
You can begin your night with cocktails in the Churchill or sit outdoors at the Italian restaurant’s garden. For those looking for an adrenaline rush, the hotel’s Grand Casino is a perfect choice. La Mamounia requires a sophisticated dress code. It is the venue of choice for those who want to live out a Great Gatsby dream. The hotel was designed by architects Prost and Marchisio in 1922. Winston Churchill called it, “the most lovely spot in the whole world.” He spent many seasons painting from his dedicated balcony. The hotel, its bar and two restaurants (Le Marocain and L’Italien) have attracted some of the worlds best-known figures and celebrities.
Open to hotel guests and non-residents alike, do note that a smart dress code is in place for the bar and all other public areas of the hotel. Ambient jazz music lilts through the air and monochrome portraits of jazz legends peer down from the luscious padded red leather walls. Sashay across the animal print carpet before settling down into a sumptuous black velvet armchair to sip on a drink and enjoy a selection of bar nibbles. Open from Wednesdays to Saturdays each week.
Address: Avenue Bab Jdid, 40040 Marrakech, Morocco,
Phone: +212 5 2438 8600
2. Le Salama Sky Bar – the three-tiered restaurant is located just footsteps from the heart of Marrakech’s famous Jemaa El Fna square. The property has a colonial interior style that is complemented by exotic Moroccan plants. The top floor is a covered sky bar-restaurant that resembles a greenhouse and has floor to ceiling glass windows where it is possible to see the Atlas Mountains. Each detail in Le Salama is exquisite. The evenings are perfect for indulging in Moroccan wine and cocktails. From 5pm onwards, the restaurant serves a menu with happy hour drinks. After sunset, exotic belly dancers fill the room.
Address: Djema el Fna، 40 Rue des Banques, 40000, Morocco
Phone: +212 5243-91300
3. Bendoo Sky Bar & Dinner Show- an evening at Bendoo starts on top of its Skybar. The outdoor rooftop terrace is the perfect place to sip a fruity rose cocktail, to listen to music, and watch the sunset over the Marrakech Koutoubia Mosque. Downstairs at Bendoo’s restaurant, live entertainment and an international menu await. Enjoy a traditional Moroccan chicken tagine with lemon and olives and watch exotic belly dancers, singers, and saxophonists light up the room.
Address: Avenue Echouhada, Marrakech 40000, Morocco
Phone: +212 664-720700
4. Palais Jad Mahal- is a lively and exciting destination located in Marrakech’s Hivernage district. It is well known for its innovative international menu and enchanting world of performers. Part of the evening spectacle includes beautiful Russian dancers and fire eaters who perform and eat burning flames. Guests are mesmerized when the performers wander to their tables. From 11-1 am, the Red City’s favorite Mahal Band creates an inspiring musical setting. They play soul, pop, rock, R’n’B, and funk from the ’80s to the latest hits. The band is often joined on stage by acrobats and other exotic performers.
Address: Rue Haroun Errachid, Marrakech 40000, Morocco
Phone: +212 5244-36984
5. Lotus Club – is a restaurant with 1930s decor located inside a luxurious villa with a modern atmosphere that evokes the feeling of opulence. The restaurant offers a 3-course meal incorporating both local and international flavors. Guests are guaranteed a glamourous and seductive environment that combines a laid back lounge and cocktail bar with live music and a sophisticated restaurant. Food is tasty and well arranged, service is flawless; the bar is quite inviting and the music full of adventure. This is the perfect place to share a bottle of wine with friends and enjoy live entertainment.
Address: Rue Ahmed Chaouqi, Marrakesh 40000, Morocco
Phone: +212 5244-21736
6. Theatro at Essadi Palace – is a lively nightclub that has amazing performances with dancers, acrobats, and more every weekend. It has international and local DJs spin while Gnawa musicians come out on stage to create a crazy remix with their drums. Essaid Palace is a resort hotel and the perfect venue for those seeking an exciting night out. Evenings can be split between the onsite Casino or Theatro nightclub.
Established in 1952, the Es Saadi Casino is Morocco’s first. It was fully renovated in 2003, the same year as it’s sister venue, Club Theatro, came onto the scene. Theatro keeps club-goers in a state of wonder. It was converted from an old theatre and features acrobats, jugglers, and dancers. Another nightlife option on the Essadi premises is a brasserie called Epicurean. The late-night restaurant bar and lounge are filled with crystal chandeliers, mahogany furniture, and large mirrors. Some of Africa’s top singers and dancers perform on stage.
Address: Rue Ibrahim El Mazini, Marrakesh 40000, Morocco
Phone: +212 5243-37400
7. Azar – A restaurant in Marrakech located in the heart of Gueliz. Dinner and entertainment are offered every night from 7pm in their refined, cozy & lush space of which oscillates between modernity and tradition to reflect Oriental glamour. Azar offers Oriental cuisine combining a subtle blend of Lebanese & Moroccan flavors with tasty and inventive Mediterranean fare. The subdued candlelight, the strum of the kanoon strings, the lascivious swaying belly dancers and the scent of chicha. Kick back on the terrace sofas with a glass of mint tea in hand! It is with these words that you may have the good fortune of sampling the Azar oriental experience Azar restaurant in Marrakech offers dinner and a show from Thursday to Saturday featuring their in-house orchestra.
Address: Rue de Yougoslavie
Phone: + 212-5244-30920
8. Comptoir Darna- Le Comptoir also known as Le Comptoir Darna is a legendary Marrakech venue, located in the Rue Ahmed Chaqui in the heart of the buzzing Hivernage district West of the Old town Medina. The two-story restaurant is considered a top nightlife attraction in Marrakech. It first opened it’s doors in 1999 and is a fusion between the orient and the occident. In Arabic “Darna” means “our home” and was built with the concept of creating a space where travelers could meet and share unforgettable moments. Le Comptoir Darna has exotic décor, live performances, and dependable upmarket dining. Their nightly shows are excellent, usually comprising drummers and dancers who perform in a variety of classical and cabaret styles. Gnaoua artists and belly dancers are among the performing artists. Travelers come to watch the experience and enjoy the gastronomic delights. The club serves original signature cocktails and has a patio perfect for smoking shisha or enjoying a mint tea and stargazing. Their famous Bellydancing show is traditionally at 10:00pm daily.
Address: Avenue Echouhada, Marrakech 40000, Morocco
Phone: +212 5244-37702